Monday, March 11, 2013

3 + 2 = SURGERY # 5 Los Angeles: Asherman's Syndrome

Surgery #5: Los Angeles, California


I traveled back to Los Angeles for the third time to have surgery for my Asherman's syndrome. I developed AS from my operation on 12-28-11. This was my third surgery in LA and my fifth surgery overall.

AS is not a problem that is faced on a monthly basis. It is a daily battle, full of many types of pain. You can't get away from it. Everything from TV, a trip to the store, losing more time at work, the financial burdens and insensitive comments and actions made by those that should care for you are a constant reminder of this awful journey. Some days are harder than others and some days are better than the ones before. But for woman facing AS it is a daily struggle.

I love California and was happy to be leaving the cold weather in Minnesota but not thrilled to be needing another surgery. The sunny skies always seem to help calm my nerves.
Biking the South Bay Trail
Beverly Hills
 
February 20 was the big day for #5. Dr. M. wanted to take an aggressive surgical approach. Hysteroscopy and laparoscopy were performed and another RE assisted him in the operating room. I had the same anesthesiologist and felt very comfortable sliding onto the operating room table once again and pretending to be in a relaxing place until being put under general anesthesia. I awoke in the recovery room coughing repeatedly and the anesthesiologist talking to me. He has always been wonderful with checking to see how I am doing. My surgery went well. Dr. M. was able to lyse all my adhesions and establish a normal cavity. A balloon stent was inserted in my cavity to hold things open during the initial healing phase. I am on high dose hormone therapy for an extended length of time.  Once my stent is removed, I will have weekly appointments where a metal dilator is inserted into my uterine cavity to try to break through any reformation.
 
 
I could tell an aggressive approach was taken but stood strong through the recovery. The carbon dioxide pain always seems to be harder to handle than the pain of the incisions.
 
 
I was even able to attend the Lakers vs. Celtics game. Lakers owner Jerry Buss passed on February 18 and this was the first game played since his death. There was an emotional tribute to Dr. Jerry Buss before the start of the game. The Lakers defeated the Celtics 113-99.  I didn't think I was going to make it to the game and as I tried to put my jeans on, Brett looked at me and told me to wear something comfortable. He was right, there was no way I was going to be able to wear jeans. I wore my sweats.
 
 
It was another wonderful surgery experience and we enjoyed our time in LA. We always leave and hope to never return to California for another surgery.
 
 
Malibu Pier
 
Malibu
 
Beverly Hills
Santa Monica Pier
Santa Monica Pier
Watching the beautiful Pacific Sunset
The perfect recovery the night after surgery
 
 
Walking with the Lord along the beach and leaving footprints in the sand. Wherever I am, God is always there; walking with, or carrying me through the chapters of my life. Blessed is our God! He knows every detail of the journey, the financial strains in my life, the awkwardness of those that fail to understand and make insensitive comments, the way faith plummets when faced with another surgery. He is always by my side.
 
 
 
Many thanks to those of you that follow my journey and are always there to offer encouragement and understanding. I wish there were more people like you in my life. Thank you for your support and always remembering my upcoming appointments. Please keep me in your prayers for a successful surgery and healthy healing. 

 

 


 


1 comment:

  1. Type 1, Type 2 and gestational diabetes are the main types of diabetes.Regular visit to the physician and taking the balance diet with exercise may prevent from the further damage.It shows in these pictures also.

    ReplyDelete